How to Write a Process Essay Step by Step
Embarking on process essay writing but have no clue where to start? Check out our insightful and wisdom-filled tips which will help you turn your essay into a masterpiece of clarity, informativeness, and conciseness.
The majority of university and college students really like this type of academic assignment because it is not time-consuming and easy to do. Another good thing about it is that you'll have a wide array of process essay topics ideas, which means you won't rack your brains over what topic to pick. The choice is always broad! Read our detailed review which will help you dot your i's and cross your t's.
What is a Process Essay?
Being a type of academic writing meant to explain how to do something, the process essay is a variation of the how-to essay which provides clear instructions on how to carry out a particular procedure in a step-by-step manner.
OK, now that we've covered the basics, it's time to move on to some serious stuff, which is writing the essay itself. However, before explaining each step in great detail, you'll need to provide the target audience with a time estimate and a summary of the task. This is important because that way they'll know exactly what they're going to do next and how much time they'll spend on it.
After writing a process essay and making sure your instructions are clear and concise, take the time to proofread it a few times, eliminating all kinds of grammar, punctuation and spelling mistakes, if any. Keep in mind that your first and foremost goal here is to provide the reader with easy-to-follow instructions, using which they'll be able to, for example, cook rice or run up a dress.
Useful Tips for Writing a Process Essay
Need something more than just a simple process essay definition? Check out our tips showing how to write a process essay step by step and take your writing to a whole new level:
- Take a sheet of paper and draw a line in the center of it. Write down the materials/ingredients you'll need in the left column and steps to follow in the right one.
- Brainstorm a topic. Conduct research and make an extensive list of materials you're going to use. Also, create a short plan which will help you organize your thoughts.
- Number all steps. Make life easier on yourself by figuring out what should be at the beginning of the essay and what it should be followed with.
- Write an introductory part. Explain the main topic of your essay and list the materials you'll use. After reading the introductory sentences, your audience should know exactly what the primary goal of your essay is.
- Body paragraphs. List the materials you'll use in the first paragraph and then move on to providing instructions in your subsequent paragraphs. Bottom line. Your major goal here is to restate the significance of your topic and give the audience the results of your work.
Now that we've covered the necessary steps involved in writing the process essay, let's focus on making some of its parts more captivating and enthralling.
How to Attract the Audience with Your Introduction?
Keep in mind that dealing with the process essay introduction will require your utmost attention because it has the potential of significantly influencing your future grade. Therefore, we recommend that you come up with some provocative statements, funny anecdotes or a colorful description of the task that can instantly grab your audience's attention After reading the first sentences, they will decide whether your essay is worth reading, so you should do your best to make this part as catchy and attention-grabbing as you can.
How to Deal With the Body Paragraphs and Conclusion?
We've taken care of that question and come up with some helpful tips for writing a process essay which will help make your body paragraphs really interesting to read. So, before embarking on the process essay, you should decide who your target audience will be and use the appropriate language. For instance, if you write for the scientific community, you should use the proper vocabulary, whereas if you write instruction on how to bake a cake, you should use more simple phrases.
You shouldn't forget about process essay transition words either because their main objective is to encourage the target audience to continue reading your essay. Besides, it would be easier for them to read your essay if you included some transitional phrases in it as well.
When creating the process essay conclusion, you shouldn't add any new ideas, so concentrate only on drawing a conclusion and leave all the irrelevant stuff out.
Ideas for Good Process Essay Topics
Searching for some fresh topics to write about? Check out the below list that we have prepared:
- How to cook a Blondie cake?
- How to make friends with your roommate?
- How to visit Paris: The least costly option.
- How to organize charity fundraising?
- How to deal with a heavy workload?
- How to write a step by step guide?
- How to quit smoking?
- How to pass math exams?
- How to buy a car?
- More process essay topics
The subject area can be entirely different, but you should be well-versed in the topic. Your essay should read like an interesting and useful sequence of steps following which your readers will be able to create this or that thing.
Process Essay Outline Example
The main objective of the outline is to help the writer organize their thoughts and ideas efficiently. This part is not obligatory, but we do not recommend neglecting it because having a framework will make your job a lot easier.
You can subdivide your outline into several parts which will reflect your essay's general structure. For instance, in case you are writing a process essay on how to bake a cake, your outline may d look something like this:
- Introductory sentences explaining the main goal of writing.
- List of all ingredients.
- Explain when it is better to cook this cake and how long it takes to make one.
- Start describing the main steps to follow.
- Provide instructions on how to cook the cream for your cake.
- Draw a conclusion by sharing information about the peculiarities of baking this cake (just a couple of sentences will do).
As you can see, the task of writing the process essay is not difficult at all and involves knowing the subject area well enough to explain it to the target audience. If you aren't an expert in a particular field, we recommend that you research this area thoroughly before getting down to the actual writing. Just try searching for different essay outline examples on the Internet, and we guarantee that you will find lots of techniques and tips that can help you cope with this challenge.
However, if you still feel you're not up to the task because you lack the writing skills required or you simply hate creative assignments, you're more than welcome to get in touch with us. We will be happy to get you a seasoned professional who will help you turn this mission impossible into mission easy-peasy!